This happened on Saturday in fresh attacks by Boko Haram insurgents on three local government areas of Borno State.
The three local governments attacked are Gubio, Nganzai and Monguno.
The Boko Haram attacks came barely a day after the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), claimed that the terrorist group had been degraded and were only taken advantage of the COVID-19 to execute pockets of attacks.
It was reported that the group had on Tuesday killed 81 persons in a major attack on Gubio.
The group reportedly returned to another settlement in Gubio, Dunga village, where they struck on Saturday morning.
Just about the same time, the insurgents attacked Usmanti village in the Nganzai Local Government Area, killing 29 persons.
Credible sources reported that the insurgents invaded Usmanti around 11 am on Saturday.
“The insurgents executed a daring attack killing 29 persons in the village. The village though in Nganzai Local Government Area shares boundary with Gubio Local Government Area where 81 persons were killed on Tuesday,” one of the sources said.
The insurgents were also said to have attacked Monguno town, one of the most strategic towns in Northern Borno, which houses humanitarian operations and has structures accommodating over 100,000 internally displaced persons.
NDDC’s Supervising Minister
Eyewitnesses in Monguno revealed that the military was able to repel the terrorists.