Having served two terms as governor of Nasarawa State under the APC from 2011 to 2019, Sen. Umaru Tanko Al-makura joined the Nigerian Senate in 2019.
He is, however, a first time member of the Senate under the platform of the APC – a party he painstakingly helped to form and nurtured to its current stage.
During the first session of the Assembly, he has sponsored a few bills, one of which is the Fire Arm Control Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill which passed first reading.
Senator Al-Makura has been vocal in the upper chamber. He is brilliant, smart, intelligent, compassionate and futuristic. As a first time Senator, he is made the chairman of the Senate Committee on Solid Minerals, Mines, Steel Development and Metallurgy during which he pushed for a motion on the floor of the Senate on the need to address the power shortage in Nigeria by including Nuclear Power in Nigeria's Energy Mix.
On this anniversary of his one year of legislative service, we say thank you to our people who brought to us Distinguished Senator Umaru Tanko Al-Makura, a true product of the majority of the people as indicated by the 300,000 votes, affirmed by the election petition tribunal and later reaffirmed by the Appeal Court.
During the first session of the 9th Assembly, Senator Al-Makura as a first time Senator is able to achieve the following:
- Sponsored a Motion on the floor of the Senate on the need to address the power shortage in Nigeria by including Nuclear Power in Nigeria's Energy Mix.
- Sen. Al-Makura led the Senate Committee on Solid Minerals, Mines, Steel Development and Metallurgy to a Roundtable Discussion on the need for the Continuous implementation of Policy Reforms for the diversification of the Nigeria Economy through the Solid Minerals sector.
- Sen. Al-Makura-led Senate Committee on Solid Minerals has attracted serious investors, home and abroad for the development of Solid Minerals sub-sector in Nigeria.
- Solid Minerals Sub-sector receiving adequate legislative attention.
- Distribution of Tiger generators as empowerment to youths of Nasarawa South Senatorial District.
- Distribution of grinding machines as empowerment to women of Nasarawa South Senatorial District.
- Distribution of 2.5KVA generators as empowerment to the people of Nasarawa South Senatorial District.
- Fire Arm Control Act (Repeal and Re-enactment) Bill, 2020, sponsored by Sen. Al-Makura passes First Reading at Senate.
- Distribution of 3000 bags of rice as COVID-19 palliative, tagged 'Constituency Support' for the people of Nasarawa South Senatorial District.
- Disbursements of Ten Thousand Naira (#10,000) each to over two thousand indigenes of Nasarawa South Senatorial District to boost their businesses.
- Donation to special school 3 million naira for books
- He also donated a bus to the Nasarawa State Children Home.
- Construction of subsurface drainage bringing to an end the tormenting Gully erosion behind the Central Mosque Lafia.
- Provision and distribution of over 2000 bundles of wrappers to our grandmothers, mothers, wives and sisters for 2020 Eid-El-Fitr celebration.
- Distribution of Cows to his constituents as sallah gift to help them cushion the difficulties of celebrating having to buy Sallah meat.
- He has ensured that All Progressives Congress and other political parties have a great synergy which today is giving the state a smooth running for the development of all.
- Facilitating numerous appointments and employments of indigenes of Nasarawa State into various positions in the state and federal government.
- Cash donations and distribution of food items as COVID-19 palliative to all categories of persons with disability across Nasarawa State.