These are chronic sequelae of rheumatic fever consisting of valvular damage, usually involving left heart valves, with progression and complications.
Acute stage: bed rest and supportive care.
Intensive health education for prevention of sore throats.
Acute rheumatic fever
For eradication of streptococci in throat:
- Benzathine benzylpenicillin (depot formulation), IM, 1.2 million units as a single dose. OR
- Phenoxymethylpenicillin, oral, 500 mg 12 hourly for 10 days.
Penicillin allergy: Macrolide, e.g.:
- Erythromycin, oral, 250 mg 6 hourly for 10 days.
Prevention of recurrent rheumatic fever
All patients with confirmed rheumatic fever and no rheumatic valvular disease – treat until 21 years of age.
All patients with confirmed rheumatic fever and rheumatic valvular disease – treat until 35 years of age.
- Benzathine benzylpenicillin (depot formulation), IM, 1.2 million units every 3–4 weeks. OR
- Phenoxymethylpenicillin, oral, 250 mg 12 hourly.
- Erythromycin, oral, 250 mg 12 hourly
Prophylaxis for infective endocarditis See Endocarditis, infective.
» Where surgery is contemplated.
» Management of intractable heart failure or other non-responding complications.
» Pregnancy.Click Download bellow to download Omokoshaban.com News Updates, and Education Mobile App. SUBMIT YOUR POST TO US. Omokoshaban.com only accept latest news, latest Story and educational contents in all field of education.